Too small?

Click on pictures to enlarge

Friday, July 31, 2009

Black Hills-Day III

This was our hiking day. Mama and Papa offered to watch Austin while Jim and I went on a hike. We went to Harney's Peak, which (if I remember correctly) is the highest peak between the Rocky Mountains and the Swiss Alps.

Here's the starting line. It was roughly a 7 mile hike, roundtrip.

If you zoom in on this picture, you can see our destination.

We passed the cathedral spires on our way. It was quite amazing to be looking down upon them!

My mountain man, on top of the spires.

The first half of our hike was virtually deserted. We took the path less traveled on. There had been a wind storm the previous day, and we had to hike over several fallen trees.

While hiking we passed this sign. We had to sign a card and leave it at the entrance letting them know how many were in our party. That seemed sort of ominous to me.

Made it to the top!
It was freezing cold and windy up there... so we didn't stay long. This is Jim trying to speed up the process of leaving.

View from the top.

Look out tower.

So, while we were hiking... Mama and Papa took Austin to see the 1880 train depart. Well, it was their lucky day and they were offered a complementary train ride! I guess Austin had a great time. I'm sort of sad we missed it!

The train engine.


Happy little boy!

After we reunited, we went this place called "The purple pie" for lunch. They had homemade pie, that Jim said is some of the best he's had. He's a tough critic, so I figure it must have been good. This is their little mascot.

"The Purple Pig"

I think there are more pictures from this day that I forgot to add... but I will add them to day four..... our last day in the hills.

No comments: